From the Fire Chief
We have received numerous inquiries regarding fire pits in private yards. Here are the regulations when constructing or using an outside fire pit to cook food or enjoy a summer evening.
Regulations for Outdoor Fire Pits
• Fire pits must be on private property
• Fire pit must be at least 10 feet from any building, trees or fence.
• Fire pit must have an area of 18 inches around it with non-combustible material such as brick or crushed rock
• Fires must be contained within the intended burning area
• Fires must be supervised by a responsible adult at all times
• Keep a garden hose nearby
• Err on the side of caution if it is windy
• Ensure that smoke does not affect your neighbors
• Use great discretion regarding the size of the fire. If you wonder if it is too big, it probably is!
• USE COMMON SENSE
If hot, dry and windy conditions warrant it, a complete burning ban may be issued if it becomes necessary and the general public notified through the Village Office.
Thanks in advance for your co-operation with this matter.